May 8, 2008

Ground moving...

Even after coming to Japan, I was never really concerned about earthquakes, but I must say I felt quite spooked early this morning when a 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck.. :# :#


Information from Japan's Meteorological Agency.

I was not asleep yet during that time.. I was busy downloading songs into my iRiver MP3 player.. then suddenly I felt the room shaking.. it just kept shaking.. maybe for just about 10 seconds or more.. but it was quite nerve-wrecking.. normally for quakes under 5 (magnitude), the most I would feel will just be a slight swaying, but this time round, even the curtains were swaying and the cupboards were making squeaking sound.. I was seriously contemplating whether I should go hide under the table or not.. :# :# :#

It was quite an "experience" to say the least.. :# although the epicenter was about 160 kilometers (99 miles) northeast of Tokyo at a depth of 35 kilometers,it felt near enough.. For me, I wouldn't want to bet my life when the "Big One" comes.. Although most if not all the buildings in Japan are earthquake-proof, I don't want to take that kind of chance.. This is yet another strike against me working in Japan after graduation....

No comments: