May 18, 2013

Poetry Solace: Of letter to myself

This is a letter written by Adrienne Rich to herself.... Very thought-provoking..

Dear Adrienne,
                I'm calling you up tonight
as I might call up a friend    as I might call up a ghost
to ask what you intend to do
with the rest of your life.     Sometimes you act
as if you have all the time there is.
I worry about you when I see this.
The prime of life, old age
aren't what they used to be;
making a good death isn't either,
now you can walk around the corner of a wall
and see a light
that already has blown your past away.
Somewhere in Boston     beautiful literature
is being read around the clock
by writers     to signify
their dislike of this.
I hope you've got something in mind.
I hope you have some idea
about the rest of your life.

                          In sisterhood,
                                    Adrienne


Have a good weekend! Be safe!

No comments: