Jan 25, 2014

Poetry Solace: song of myself

This weekend, I will share a portion of Walt Whitman's poem, Song of Myself. Hope you will like it..

Song of Myself
(48)
I have said that the soul is not more than the body,
And I have said that the body is not more than the soul,
And nothing, not God, is greater to one than one's-self is,
And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks
   to his own funeral, dressed in his shroud, 
And I or you pocketless of a dime may purchase the
   pick of the earth.
And to glance with an eye or show a bean in its pod
   confounds the learning of all times,
And there is no trade or employment but the young man
   following it may become a hero,
And there is no object so soft but it makes a hub for
   the wheeled universe,
And any man or woman shall stand cool and supereilious
   before a million universes.

And I call to mankind, Be not curious about God,
For I who am curious about each am not curious about God,
No array of terms can say how much I am at peace
   about God and about death.

I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand
   God not in the least, 
Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful
   than myself.

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and
   each moment then,
In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my
   own face in the glass;
I find letters from God dropped in the street, and every one
   is signed by God's name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that others
   will punctually come forever and ever.

Have a fun weekend! Stay safe, don't drink and drive!



No comments: