Sep 4, 2012

(back) to school..

Summer holidays is gonna be over soon, and school starts next Monday. thus no wonder the campus is bustling again these past few days. All those 'fresh' faces, hanging around the campus in pairs, threes, quartets or just groups.. that inconcealable sense of excitement and curiosity betrayed their freshmen status.. Of course, there are lots of parents too.. accompanying their kids, familiarizing themselves with a new environment.. I've seen some grandparents tagging along too..  I think these kids are very fortunate.. chores like looking for room to stay, cleaning up, moving and decorating are all done by their parents.. And frankly, I am worried that all these hand-holding might just rob them of the chance to be independent..

All these just kinda reminded me of the time I went to NUS. At that time, dragging 2 large suitcases, I took an 8-hour train to Singapore, alone...  My grandaunt, whom I rarely met and barely knew, was there at the train station to pick me up.. After 2 days staying at her place, I reported in to the hostel (Eusoff Hall) that I was assigned to.. from then onwards, I was on my own.. I handled everything by myself with the support of my family from afar.. My parents only came over to Singapore when it was my graduation..

when you are down, the only way left is up..
Looking back, I am kinda amazed at what I've done back then. Going to a totally new environment, with no family nor friends by my side, not knowing a single soul.. utterly alone and having to start anew in everything.. All that I had was a sense of relentless stubbornness and a prideful unwillingness to rely on others.. In the end, I kinda made it through on my own and sorta made it good too.. :)


I am not fearless, nor am I stouthearted.. it is all circumstantial.. I had to swim, by hook or by crook, else I would have sunk.. No use depending on others as things and people change.. The only dependable person was, and still is me, myself and I. It is better to learn how to fish then to rely on the charity of others to fish for me..  of course, it is not unbecoming to ask for help when one really requires it as it is a sign of being aware of one's limitations..

Do not underestimate our tenacity and malleability. Do not limit yourself by setting boundaries and do not belittle your abilities.. Do not take to heart what others think, just be happy and be contented with life.. Do not try to please everyone, just be at peace with yourself and do right by your parents.. Life is too short to waste your precious time on those that don't matter.. Life is unpredictable enough without all these self-inflicted sadness and misery.. Your life, your rules.. Live for yourself and no one else (unless you have kids, then that's a different matter altogether).. 
Mmmm.. think I might have digressed too far.. :p





No comments: