Jun 27, 2010

9 months later..

3 quarters.. 9 months.. 36 weeks.. 270 days later.. I am still at home.. still jobless.. :x but no longer as depressed as before.. actually, I am beginning to enjoy the time that I have.. currently planning to undertake one or two new endeavors..

Although I have yet to find a way to gain financially (other than the occasional translation jobs) , I have been using the time to read up and improve my knowledge in various fields.. since I can't control all those external factors, I can only equip myself with whatever knowledge and information that I can get my hands on so that when opportunity does eventually knock, I am ready to grab it by the neck!!

What have I done these past 3 months?

Bought and read 6 books:
  • The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the future of Reason by Sam Harris
  • Hot, Flat and Crowded: Why we need a green revolution - and how it can renew America by Thomas L.Friedman
  • god is not Great: How religion poisons everything by Christopher Hitchens
  • Gods and Heroes in Art by Lucia Impelluso
  • What the Dog Saw, and other adventure by Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar
Watched 23 movies..
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • 家有喜事09 (All's Well, End's Well 2009)
  • Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief
  • The Cove
  • The Life Before Her Eyes
  • Cirque de Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
  • Julie & Julia
  • It's Complicated
  • Mamma Mia
  • Quantum of Solace
  • City of Ember
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • Ghosted
  • The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice
  • The Librarian: Back to King Solomon's Mine
  • The Librarian: Quest for the Spear
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Burn after Reading
  • Jarhead
  • Clash of the Titans
  • 夺帅 (Fatal Move)
  • おくりびと (Okuribito, Departure)
Completed the following drama series
  • Dexter - Season 2
  • The Amazing Race - Season 15
  • The Amazing Race - Season 16
  • House MD - Season 6
  • Heroes - Season 4
  • Survivor - Season 20
  • LOST - Season 6
  • Drop Dead Diva - Season 1
  • True Blood - Season 2
and some 20+ episodes of 康熙来了..

So what are my plans next?? In no particular order..
  • Read up and familiarize myself with the anatomy of the human skeleton, especially the spine
  • Read up on the basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine (3 books to be exact)
  • Read at least 10 books, maybe a couple of novels, since I have not been reading much fiction
  • Evaluate the feasibility and draft up a business proposal for something that I had in mind
  • Watch a couple of Japanese drama/anime series to refresh my Japanese
I think these will keep me busy for at least a couple of months.. Hopefully as the year progresses, my translation jobs will increase.. even though they won't bring in big money, at least they are enough to cover my daily expenses which is actually very minimal as I am still staying with my parents..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Imm,

It is encouraging to read you are not so depressed anymore. Have you ever considered volunteering? I am sure there are a lot of people around in your local community whom you could help with your time and knowledge. :-)

Another option is migration. Have you ever considered migrating? Countries like NZ and Australia are looking for migrants. You will have to start all over again in a new country but if you could survive (and adapt and acclimatize) Japan, I think you could survive anywhere. :-)

But its good you are keeping busy. You are also serving as an inspiration to those of us who took the CIO stream and find we are either overqualified or totally unqualified for many jobs in our home countries.

I have got a part time job which keeps me going but it is peanuts to what I was earning before Japan. So I really really know how you feel.

I try to keep positive by thinking that one of the best things I have got from going to Japan is that it has given me the opportunity to start again. As I have hit rock bottom, I find I am now emboldened to attempt new things I would have been scared to try out previously.... I have got nothing to lose.

I have considered starting a business but I don't know what kind yet. Still looking around.

Hang in there. Things can only get better for you and me.

Hope your business proposal, whatever it is goes well.

Imm said...

Hi there!

Thanks for leaving comments on my blog.. I know who u r, but since u wanna stay anonymous, I shall respect that.. :)

Yep, realized that there is no point staying depressed.. it wont help my situation a bit, altho it took me a long while to get my head out of that depressive mode..

Yes, I did think about what u suggested.. Volunteering would b good, but it is hard to find a good charity org in my country tat is not racist, not partisan and not run by idiots/hypocrites/religious zealots..

As for migrating, of course! it is never far from my mind.. altho i am staying put for a while, it doesnt mean tat i dont want to leave for good.. but before i can do tat, i need to find a way to survive.. a skill or business.. cos I think I am really gonna leave IT for good.. cos i dont want to b an engineer yet no one wants an inexperienced manager.. so..

Good tat u got a part-time job.. keeps ur mind sharp.. unlike those days in THE LAB where we r jst wasting our lives away, surrounded by bureaucrats and "professional students"..

Since we have been low all these while, up is the only way left for us to go, isnt it? :) And since we have nothing else to lose, why not take a gamble? All the past inhibitions and "rules" tat I've set out for myself are crumbling down.. "Why not?" has become my new motto.. :)

Let's both hang in there.. who knows, maybe we can work together in some ways in the future.. :)