May 24, 2011

existential crisis..

I think I've been suffering from an existential crisis since I graduated with my Masters more than a September ago...

I always had things to do - a job to go back to, a degree to earn or something to call my own.. now, I have nothing that I MUST do.. nothing that defines me, like my job had done for me since 1998 or my studies a couple of years ago.. I am no longer a manager, an engineer, an analyst, an executive nor a grad student...so who am I? what am I? what is the meaning of life, or more specifically what is the meaning of my life? why do I exist? Religion is unable to give me a convincing explanation, and the many scientific points of view are equally depressing..

I know that I am still me.. I know that I've definitely gained more knowledge (not just work/academic-centric but everything in general), more insights into how things/people work and also what make me tick (or not), more understanding of things outside my usual comfort zone and a couple more pounds :( in these past 4 years.. yet I am not able to reconcile what I've learned with what I'm supposed to do.. Life has become, at least now that I've the time to ponder upon this question, a big scary unknown..

I had the time to think about what I don't want to do - going back the humdrum banal life of an IT engineer.. I don't know what I am supposed to do with my life.. whether there is a higher purpose to my life.. if I've passed the "test" of life.. I know I can do so much more in life, yet I can't decide on one single "thing" to dedicate my life to.. in fact, I feel trapped and frustrated.. what is the use of gaining all these knowledge when I can't use them for the betterment of the society and the world?

I want to mean something to some people.. I want to be of importance or of value to my family and/or friends and if I can I want to leave my legacy to the future generations.. maybe literary or artistic creation(s), valuable and unique insight(s), applicable and pragmatic theories or any other beneficial gift(s).. I want to be remembered as someone who did good and made a difference..

I have several options to get myself out of this.. Reading helps.. especially Desiderata and this article.. so is understanding Frankl's Logotherapy and Satre's Existence precedes essence... but most importantly, I know I need a plan of action.. a plan to get myself out of all these.. a plan that I will need to execute soon..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your feels.Just curious what is your dream now
Anyway great to knowyou find peace with the present,

Share two books with you
1.Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
2.The fineprint of life-P.S.Wasu

Your friend.

Imm said...

Hi there!
Thanks for the comment, my friend (although I really have no idea who you really are, any hints??).. my dream is still intact, though barely... and I will definitely look for those 2 books.. been wanting to read the first one for a very long time..

Thanks again!