May 2, 2011

how long..

According to the figures given by United Nations, the average life expectancy for Malaysians is 74.2 with women living to 76.7 years old.. Singaporeans live to 80 years old (81.9 years old for women).. personally, I would like to be able to live to 85 years old or more.. :p with the precondition that I have all my marbles intact till my last breath and I am not dependent on anyone..

When I take that into consideration, it means that I should have 40 years (based on MY stats.), or 45 years (based on SG stats.) or 48 years or even more to live.. and I think it will be extra cool if I could get to (and pass) the century mark! :)   :)

Anyway, forty years might sound like a very long time but if we break it down, it ain't that long.. If I were to ignore leap years (to make things simpler), I will, at least I hope, have 1,261,440,000 seconds or 21,024,000 minutes or 350,400 hours or 14,600 days or 2,080 weeks or 480 months to live..

During which I should be able to:
-> take 252 to 420 million more breaths (based on an average of 12 - 20 breath per minute)..
-> sleep at least 12,200 hours (based on an average of 7 hrs per night)..
-> have 43,800 more meals (based on 3 meals per day)..
-> witness at least 14,600 sunrises and sunsets.. 
-> enjoy (less than) 14,600 candlelight/home-cooked dinners with that someone special (since that person is still nowhere to be found)..
-> work at most 7,000 days (based on retirement age of 65years old and 5-day work weeks)..
-> write at least 6,240 more articles for my blog, at a (average) rate of 3 per week..
-> say TGIF for 2,080 more times..
-> admire 480 more full moons...
-> relishing the change of season for 160 more times...
-> visit 80 more cities/countries, if I can travel to 2 every year..
-> celebrate 40 more Christmases (my favorite holiday of the year)..
-> eat 40 more of my own birthday cakes..
-> go through 8 more PC/laptops (based on average lifespan of 5 years)..
-> welcome the year of the "Tiger" for at least 3 more times..
before kicking the bucket...

When we list things down in black and white, it kinda put things into perspective, doesn't it? Still, I believe Life is too short to be wasting it on things or people that don't matter..

It is a tussle between how LONG you gonna enjoy life versus how SHORT of a time you actually have to do it..  What say you?

No comments: