Jul 6, 2012

went visiting

Just came back from Singapore yesterday.. visited some friends and ex-colleagues-turned friends.. been a while since I've meet some of them.. the last time I saw them was 2009, which was more than 3 years ago..

Stayed in a backpackers' hostel, for SG$40 a night in a single dorm room.. it was located between Boon Keng MRT and Farrer Park MRT with access to lots of buses too.. I didn't want to spend $$ on fancy hotel rooms as I just needed a place to sleep.. also I didn't want to trouble any of my friends..

Lots have changed since I last visited.. more buildings.. more shopping malls.. more condominiums.. more cars.. more MRT stations.. more on-going constructions.. a lot of 'hardware' has been and is going to be build, yet the 'software' is still very much lacking.. the service quality still sucks (compared to TW and JP).. the level of civic-mindedness still left much to be desired.. the 'kiasu-ness' is still the norm.. the rat-race still leaves most stressed-out and burnt-out.. Infrastructurally, SG is still a good place to live, but unless one belongs to the wealthy or well-to-do, there is no way one can slow-down and enjoy all the new amenities this island city has to offer.. Personally, SG has become way too 'crowded' for my liking..

Met up with friends from different stages of my life in SG - from my NUS days, from my first job and from my last job (I've only worked in 2 companies during my 8+ years of employment in SG). I met one of them when I first came to SG almost 18 years ago!! Friends come and goes, drifted apart due to differences in life philosophy and/or life focuses.. So I am grateful and thankful to still have these friends..

Shall write more about my trip to SG.. and post some photos too..

No comments: