Sep 6, 2013

art

I used to hate art, art classes that is, when I was in school. Compared to my brother, I have no talent for drawing. Whether it is with color pencils, crayons, or water color, I suck big time in drawing. Unlike my brother who had won numerous drawing competitions, I can’t draw to save my life. Even though I never flunk my Art classes, I never did get good grades for them. Thus you can imagine my relief when I found out that I can drop Arts as a subject for the national level examinations of SRP and SPM.

I can’t draw but I can copy sketches. I can’t create but I can imitate. Just give me an example/model, and I would be able to replicate it. I can’t draw but I am pretty good with handicrafts. I have made origami, paper cutting, Chinese knotting and Plasticine figurines as presents for friends. In future, I would love to try my hands on wood carving, metal work, woodwork, and pottery, just to name a few. I just like to get my hands dirty, so to speak.. :)

Nevertheless my inability to draw doesn't prevent me from appreciating art, be it drawings, painting, sculptures or other types of artistic creation. I've always like pieces from the Renaissance and Baroque era, thus my fascination with museums in Europe. I can lose myself in museums and art museums for hours, wandering around halls and rooms filled with creative creations. Even if I don’t ‘get it’, I would still like to understand the inspiration and the story behind these art pieces.

Leonardo da Vinci once said, “Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen”. I love both painting and poetry. I may not look like an art lover, but I am, maybe just not your typical art aficionado. And I couldn't agree more with Pablo Picasso that “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” 

No comments: