Apr 27, 2008

Masak Masak IV

Kinda sick of the usual Japanese taste, so I have been cooking almost everyday.. Not the kind of banquet style cooking, but more of a simple easy to make type of stuff..

Although I have mentioned, more than once, that the raw food prices in Tokyo aren't cheap, I still wanna cook my own food, whenever I can and whenever I have a craving..


Few weeks ago saw that there were sweet potatoes on sale at the market and I bought some.. Not cheap though.. the price as seen in the photo, 298 yen (about SGD$4 or MYR$9).. these were the cheapest, with the most expensive ones at around 498 yen (about SGD$6.5 or MYR$15).. who would have thought that sweet potatoes could cost so much.. in the older days, as the poor had no money to buy rice, they ate sweet potatoes instead which were dirt cheap then, but looking at the price right now, I don't think the poor could afford to eat much of these nowadays..


Using my trusty rice-cooker again, I just cut them into halves and added some water... And Voila! Nicely steamed sweet potatoes!! :) They were rather sweet, so nothing else was required..

I could still remember my younger days where my dad would plant sweet potato in our backyard.. I love to eat the leaves of sweet potatoes (番薯叶), especially when fried with chilli.. Mmmm.. yummy!! :)

According to Wikipedia, "Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato.(NCSPC)". Wow! No wonder people are advocating a balanced diet that includes sweet potatoes .. Some are even using sweet potatoes to lose weights! Mmm.. maybe I should give it a try... :p

No comments: