Aug 19, 2008

Kansai Trip: Lodging

Stayed in 2 different places during my 1 week trip to Kansai.. Let me do a quick review of those two places.. :)

Residence in Umeda
WL helped me looked for accommodation for my trip to Osaka with my sister and she found this jewel.. :)






Location: About 10 minutes walk from Nakatsu Station (中津駅), which is one station away from Umeda Station. There is a supermarket just next door which opens till 11pm during week-days.
Rates: 5,800 per night for 2 person
Facilities: Has a small kitchen with gas stove, fridge, microwave oven, TV, air pot, air-con, washing machine and vacuum cleaner. Separate bathroom and toilet. Clean sheets, bath towels, toothbrushes, shampoo, shower foam, face towels, pots and pans. It is just like a 1LDK apartment. (LDK means living, dining and kitchen in Japan)
Remarks: Just like staying in your own room. It has everything you need. Even the internet connection is free. Of course, this being an apartment and not hotel/hostel, there will not be room service nor will there be anyone to pick up your rubbish or laundry.. The apartment manager only speaks Japanese, but I can still manage with my limited Japanese skills.. :P
Verdict: Will definitely recommend it to those who don't mind not having the usual hotel services.

A video of the room that I took..



Kameya Ryokan
Because the apartment was booked by an earlier client for one of the nights, we had to find a place to sleep for that night. So my sister and I went to her usual online hostel site (Hostel World) to try to find a room for the both of us. As most of the rooms were already taken in most of the popular hostels/ryokan, we had to take a chance in one of the newer ryokan introduced in the site.






Location: About 5 minutes walk from Osakako Station (大阪港駅). A big convenient store and McDonald's within walking distance. Very near to Osaka Aquarium and IMAX theatre, less than 10 minutes walk.
Rates: 4,500 per night per person for a double room with shared bathrooms.
Facilities: Has a TV, air pot, air-con and a videotape player. Shared bathrooms and toilet. Clean sheets, yukatas, bath towels and a Japanese tea set. No internet connection in the room, but available in the common room.
Remarks: Friendly owner who speaks English. The room was bigger than I had expected, knowing how precious space is in Japan. Also there is a 12midnight curfew, which was fine with me, since my sister and I aren't pub crawler..
Verdict: Perfect for visiting the Osaka Aquarium, just a bit far for other attractions.


Some photos of Kameya Ryokan..

No comments: