Apr 14, 2010

Talked two..

During my short-short stay in Singapore, I had two very interesting conversations with two individuals in two situations that couldn't be more different.. which in the end lead me to reaffirm some of my thoughts..

Talk no.1:
During an interview with a fellow countryman who has been living in the Lion City all except the first 12-years of her life.

.....
"Do you plan to convert?"
"Ya, I do and I wanna get a house here"
"Why?"
"Why not? Having stayed out of the country for so long, I realised that I don't want to stay in a place where the law is being ignored, and everything and anythings goes as long as you dare.. I don't want to stay in a country where I have to constantly worry about my safety.. where I can't even trust the policemen.."
"I never thought of converting even as I have stayed here longer than you. I couldn't care less as there is no difference between a PR and a citizen here.. you pay the same tax, can buy house..."
"Different people want different things in life.. I don't feel a sense a pride when I tell people where I came from.. Everything back home is in chaos.. crime rate high, traffic sucks, public transport non-existence.. at least here, the government tries to take care of every citizens.. I don't want to waste my energy worrying about things that the government should have taken care of.. "
.....

Talk no. 2:
On my way back to my hotel, inside a taxi after finishing my interviews, chatting away with the local middle-age driver..

.....
"Everything in Singapore needs money.."
"That's true, but at least your government takes care of you.. unlike my country.."
"but the government is making money from us.."
"but look at all your infrastructures, your public transports and everything.. your government spends its money making life better for you.. you can see where your tax money goes to.. unlike in my country, where the money is lost through corruptions.. all the big projects only benefit the few privileged ones.."
".. true also what u say.."
"over there, some people no need to worry even if they have 5, 6, or 10 kids cos they know e government is going to help feed them.. so where the government get the money? from tax la, but who pays the taxes?? my people paid the most tax and yet they continue to treat us like 2nd rated citizens.. it is fair?? "
"now that you put it that way, it makes sense to me now.."
"Maybe for businesses, go there better cos money can solve everything.. for simple folks like me, I want stability.. I want security.. I want ease.. Here, when u walked down from HDB flat, there is hawker center, wet market, convenient stores etc, all within walking distance.. no need to drive at all.. I feel safe here too.. can walk around at night and not worry about get robbed.."
.....

No comments: