Apr 12, 2011

how big..

How big do you want your dream house/room to be? Or how big is your current house/room?

After staying in a varied types of houses over my lifetime, from a semi-D, a terraced house, a double-story shop-lot, a WWII semi wooden house (in Malaysia) to a 4-bedroom flat, a 4-room condo, a 3-bedroom flat (in Singapore) to a less than 180 sq ft room (in Japan), I realized that I don't need a big house.. 

I like the coziness of a small house/room or a studio apartment.. I just needed a place to unwind, sleep and maybe entertain a few friends once in a while.. it can be under 500 sq ft since it doesn't really bother me.. airy with adequate sunlight.. ceiling bookshelves on one of the walls, home to all my books and my little angels..  a nice comfortable armchair.. a small but well-equipped kitchen.. and I don't mind having a (balcony with) good view too..  :) :) 

Of course I won't mind owning a 3-bedroom apartment, if I can afford it.. A master bedroom, a R&R room and a guest bedroom.. :) The master bedroom will be my private sanctuary, with nice wardrobes, nightstand and a comfy king-sized bed.. :) My study/writing table, my desktop computer (with a 28 inch monitor), my books and my angel collections will be in the R&R room with a reading corner that comes with a comfortable armchair and a nice standing lamp.. finally, a simple guest room for family/friends who comes to visit.. 

Most of the time I don't get why people would want a ridiculously big house, with a number of rooms, b number of bedrooms, c number of bathrooms, d number of dining rooms, e number of living rooms, number of library/study rooms and g number of kitchen/pantry... You can only sleep in ONE bed, thus you only need ONE bedroom.. You can only occupy ONE toilet, thus you only need ONE bathroom.. You can only eat at ONE table, thus you only need ONE dining room.. You can only sit on ONE sofa watching ONE TV, thus you only need ONE living room.. Why waste all the resources building and then up-keeping all these unused spaces?? To me, it is just classic vanity and egoism.. 

I will love having my own place.. yet I have no idea where it will be.. Don't think I will get a house in this country.. it must be within walking distance to all the things I need... I don't like to own cars, maybe just a bicycle.. I don't want to waste my time, energy and $$ to maintain and worry about something that depreciates and pollutes.. public transport will do just fine for me, thank you..

It is a battle between how BIG a house do you NEED versus how SMALL a house do you WANT. So what say you?

No comments: