Apr 18, 2011

how many...

How many friends do you have in FB? How many of those do you actually know?

With the prevalence of social media, it is easy to claim that you have tons of friends. Yet, how many will be there when you really need them? how many of them are you willing to do anything for? how many are REAL friends? how many are so-called "friends"?

I for one can't say that I have lots of friends.. I am not friendly and I don't make friends easily..  and I can seemed very unapproachable especially if I don't smile.. but I do have a handful of good friends whom (I think and I hope) I can depend on..  yet, who can really tell before that moment of need? Some whom I consider as close/good friends might not reciprocate my view of our relationship. We can't force people to be our friends if they don't want to, right?

It goes without saying that it feels good to have someone to care about you.. and it is good to care for someone.. Joy is multiplied when you have people to share it with... It might be a delicate art to enjoy your time alone, but it sure is an acquired skill to share your happiness.. In SG, I never invited anyone to my house but I soon grew to love having friends over for dinner while in Japan. .. cos seriously, what can be more enjoyable than having good food with great company? :)

Of course, friends ain't just about having good times together.. friends share doubts, worries and insecurities too.. friends make time for each other.. even if not physically present, friends provide emotional and mental support for one another.. friends listen without judging.. friends are precious gifts that require constant attention and care.. friends are forever.... or at least these are my interpretation and principles when it comes to friends...

People come together and become friends.. but more often than we want to admit, friends too can drift apart and relegate to just being acquaintances or even strangers.. Fate is unpredictable.. some friends are here to stay while some will always remain passersby..


It is a tussle between how MANY friends you THINK you have versus how FEW friends you ACTUALLY have. What say you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with part of your views, friends are really important.I invited friends to my house for dinner in SG when I was not staying with parents and siblings.Really miss it, but it's a history in life.

I think how many friends we have depend on how open our heart is.If we close our heart, will not able to live with love and joys.

Ex-housemate.(Friend)

Imm said...

I don't quite agree with you on the openness of the hearts in determining the number of friends we have.. We can open our hearts to everyone, but not all of them are appreciative of it. Call me cynically, but I will only open mine to those I think deserve it.