Apr 6, 2012

Dunhuang Mural Exhibition

Early last month I went to the Dunhuang (敦煌) Art Exhibition at the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park which is more than 45 min train ride away..

History has always been my favorite subject in school.. I just love museums and art exhibitions, so I won't miss a chance to visit, especially now that I am eligible for student-priced tickets! :p

Anyway, I visited this exhibition on a weekday, thus I did not encounter much of a crowd..  in fact, there were hardly anyone at the exhibition, which was exactly what I wanted!

This exhibition had no prohibition against taking photographs, so my camera had a good "work-out" after being locked inside the drawers for months.. :)

And here are some of them..
nice-looking billboards along the way to the exhibition hall

replicas of art restoration tools
more restoration replicas
coloring used for restorations
one of the murals..
e same mural as above, but animated..
This is just a portion of the entire animation... the dance sequences, the music and all the other expressions and movements were pretty cool..
lots of information to digest..

Ever wonder what those hand gestures depicted by the Buddha and Bodhisattva meant? Some of them are actually prayer signs and here are 6 of them..
for Health
for Popularity/People Relationship
for Academic Achievement
for Wealth
for Love
for Career
Anyway, the exhibition was not very big and since I didn't have to fight to view all the exhibits, I was done in less than 2 hours.. Frankly I was hoping to see more, and with the exception of a couple of really memorable items, the rest was kinda disappointing..

No comments: