May 5, 2010

Piecing together..

Among many of the hobbies that I have, putting together jigsaw puzzles is one of those that I would allow myself to indulge in if I found the perfect design.. It had to be 1000pcs or more and with an image that I liked.. In fact I owned more than 10 jigsaw puzzles while in Singapore and have a few stashed all over the house right now! Too bad I don't have a house of my own to frame and hang them all up..

I had one with a picture of cute cartoon kittens that glow in the dark, one ancient world map in gold, several paintings byChristian R. Lassen of whales, dolphins and the underwater world and a few others which I can't really remember as I have left them in my friend's place in Singapore.. The maximum number of pieces that I have worked on was 5000 pcs, so I would love to get my hands on one that is 10,000pcs.. Maybe one of those Renaissance paintings like this, this or this...

During our last shopping trip to Penang, my sister bought a jigsaw puzzle.. and little did I know that I brought back the same exact jigsaw puzzle from Japan more than 8 months ago! She paid MYR$9.90 for hers while mine cost me ¥1,800 (almost MYR$62).. but the quality difference between the two was very obvious.. Both of our jigsaws are 1000pcs. Mine was held as the world's smallest jigsaw with a size of 29.7cm x 42cm while hers were 50cm x 75cm.Each individual puzzle pieces of mine is about the size of a 5-cent coin.. Both of us took about one weekend (half a day each on Sat & Sun) to finish ours.. It was challenging but doable.. Hers.. .. and mine...

Since the two of us have yet to get a proper frame for our puzzles, we decided to dismantle them and put them back into the boxes.. And we shall try to piece them up AGAIN in future.. ;)

2 comments:

Christine said...

Oh my God, you dismantled them after all the pain and suffering??? I know I'm NOT a puzzle person but my husband and son are.

He actually gave me a huge puzzle he pieced together when we were dating...hmm, now you've got me thinking if it's just easy-peasy for him!!!

Imm said...

Huge part of the fun for me was the piecing part.. and until I have a proper place to put them up (after framing), I will continue to piece-then-dismantle.. :)