Sep 14, 2011

different traditions

Yesterday was Mid-Autumn Festival, 15th day of the 8th month on the lunar calendar.. and there was a very interesting event that happened at the alley where I'm staying..

Around 10.45am, I heard some loud percussion and I kinda stuck my head out from my 5th floor room and saw a long lines of small trucks that was decorated in flowers.... so I took out my camera and start snapping....

Shop owners and tenants have set up prayer tables, lined with moon cakes and fruits.. they were all holding joss sticks, praying and offering joss sticks to the truck passing by..

offering joss sticks..

a different truck..
There are different types of trucks.. some as shown above, while a few were carrying group of percussion players like this one below...
a percussion truck
Of course, these prayer trucks don't just take joss sticks offered by the devotees, they also give out taoist charms.. as seen on the table here..

After the procession, the devotees ended their praying with burning of joss papers (also known as Hell bank note)..

Not too sure if this type of procession is the norm here but I will keep an eye on this.. :)

No comments: