Dec 31, 2012

Sayonara Auld Lang Syne

Almost everyone knows the lyrics to this song, yet when and why exactly should we “forget old acquaintance”? In my case, many of my old “acquaintance” and “friends” don't need a reason or a timeline to do that.

I am and will always be a traveler. 
People always say absence makes the hearts grow fonder, but they forgot to mention that theres a limit to how long that absence can be before amnesia sets in and the hearts find new person(s) to be fond with. If this is whats happening to (some, if not most) marriages and relationships, what chance does friendship has? Especially for friends who meet up once a week, once a month, or once a year. In this era of social media where a single click to "accept" can get you as many friends as you want, the definition of "friend" has been reused, misused and overused.

Every time I move to a new city/country, I make some new friends but lost most of my old ones. I did try to keep those old ones, through emails and FB, but people change and priorities shift. The tacit understanding that once connected us no longer exists and all thats left is awkwardness and pleasantries. And I dont do pleasantries. Not all (friends) is lost, but it really does take 2 to tango. Thus when the drifted is finally apart, I just re-categorize them in my life (and my FB) and move on with Life.. Life is too short to be wasted looking back, especially at people who doesn't matter.. 

Maybe its just me. Im always the unorthodox outsider who doesn't belong to any in-group. Im forever the foreigner. Ill always be an afterthought. We all played a part in each other's life during that specific time and space when the cosmic alignment made us friends. Our paths crossed, merged and diverged.. Memory stays and fades.. Such is Life..  

To all my friends and "friends", Happy New Year!

No comments: