Dec 31, 2012

2012 In Retrospect - Five Things (I)


2012 is a boringly interesting year for me.. Many things have happened but none major.. Here is a quick look at five worth-mentioning things that had came to pass..

1. Missed CNY reunion dinner
For the first time in my life, I was not with my family for CNY.. It wasn't an easy decision and definitely wasn't a very nice experience that I would want to repeat in future.. so I'll be going home next CNY.. :)

2. Taught English
Been teaching my senior's 2 sons English for the past 8 months and it was a fun experience. However, I've just 'resigned' from this teaching assignment last week as I need to concentrate on my research and writing (see No. 5). I didn't want to just "cruise along" and get paid.

3. Snail-mailing
Started corresponding with my god-son Rio about 4 months ago. In an age where emails and instant messaging rule, it is refreshing to write letters and mail them via the postal office. So far, I've received 2 cards and 1 letter from him.. looking forward to getting more.. :)

4. Satisfied my credit requirements
After this semester, I would have gotten all the credits needed for my PhD. Even though this is the easiest requirement to meet, it was still a challenge to get all 36 credits.. Of course, I won't stop taking classes if they are gonna be useful to me in future. After all, I did come here to learn.. :)

5. Chose my PhD advisor
I finally made my choice and approached a Professor in my dept to be my thesis advisor. Having made this decision meant that I would now have to be answerable not only to myself but to him too. I would need to show something for my time as I don't have any more excuses for unproductiveness..

No comments: