Sep 5, 2007

New Task, New Stress

New Task....

Today went back to Waseda University as there is a lunch meeting organised by my Prof. Actually we met at Rihga Royal Hotal at 12pm.. I was kinda puzzled as to why do we need to go to a four-star(?) hotel to discuss about a survey project.. Maybe it was the Japanese way of doing things?? Cos being a practical person, I would think that we could get things done faster and more efficiently at a small meeting room where everyone can brainstorm and talk things through with no distractions (food/people/whatever). But don't think that I'm complaining though, because we went to Cafe Corbeille which the lunch buffet is at least 1,700yen per person!! :p

After the lunch, our Senpai, Ms Iwasaki asked us to fill up the survey that she had created and after filling it up, comment/feedback on it.. The target survey group are university students from 30+ countries, asking them about their awareness and opinions on sustainable development and the role/task of global companies. The survey was translated from Japanese, so the English was kinda hard to understand... The four of us (Bobby, Jayne, Ilu and me) were struggling with it and we spent an average of 20-30min on it, which was way off the initial set time of 10min.. In the end, all of us volunteered to help with the improvement of the English version.. Once we managed to get the English version of the survey right by end of this week, I would need to translate it into Chinese for students in China, Taiwan and maybe Hong Kong...

In addition to that, I was asked to look into the creation of a web-based survey content, so that we can have the option of asking the university students to do the survey online and not just via email as initially planned. As the requirements given to me was very vague, I had to get more information, especially the user requirements and expectation. If the requirements are very simple, I could even do it myself and not have to engage any vendors to do it..

Although it had been a long while since I did any programming, but with my improved 'skills' in getting information off the Internet, I think I could do it.. :p And I did manage to do it.. I created a simple html page with all the survey questions and used a 3rd party (free) form processing service (which also offered the feature of storing the survey answers). In the end, I managed to get it to email the survey answers to an email address. Not too bad for someone who hasn't written any codes for at least 4 years!! :p I have just sent my Senpai all these and asked her to test it out.. Now I am waiting for her response..

All these were a good way to showcase my expertise.. both technical and language skills... ;)




New Stress...

During today's karate session, I found out that there will be an upgrade examination next week!! :o And there is no way for me to escape from taking the exam... :x Although I don't really mind being white-belt all the time, I do want to see if I could remember all the things that I've learn so far.. which I must admit I tend to forget very easily.. Frankly, I don't have the 'gift' for remembering the katas (sets of moves), either I get the arm movement wrong (arm raised too high, too low, etc) or I kinda 'stucked' during the kata, not knowing where to move my legs next.. :x

Being on holiday for more than a month now, this will definitely raise my stress level.. And there is no place for me to practice the kata, as my room is too small.. think all I can do is to replay the movements in my head and pray hard hard that on the day of examination, my nerves will hold, my mind won't freeze and my limps won't turn rubbery... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

No comments: