Jul 4, 2008

High Security

Japan, a country that prides itself of civil vigilance and self-maintained order, seldom flaunted its police force. But for the past few days, I have seen a lot more policemen and security forces out patrolling.

At first I was puzzled.. Did the fatal stabbing in Akihabara last month really triggered such an increased security measure?? Then I remembered that the G8 summit is due this coming Monday, in Hokkaido, Japan..

Compared to the policemen/policewomen and armed personnels that I saw in Singapore patrolling the streets and airport, the policemen here looked kinda under-armed.. and pardon me from saying this, but they also looked non-threatening (ie weak), and some of the security personnels looked rather amateurish with their over-sized uniform.. Maybe they are there more as a deterrent than a real combatant force.. Maybe it is just my perception.. :p

No comments: