Jul 1, 2008

A fine speech indeed..

During Harvard University's 357th Commencement Address early Jun this year, J.K.Rowling gave quite an inspiring speech.. you can read it here.

I read about it in one of the past editions of the Straits Times in the central library yesterday.. Regardless of what some might think, personally I think her speech was inspirational.. some parts of her speech had struck a chord..
"Failure taught me things about myself that I could have learned no other way."
"The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive."
"Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone's total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes."

She ended her speech with a quote from Seneca (4 B.C.-65 A.D.) which I think was incandescent, which said:

"As a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters."

:) :)

No comments: