Feb 3, 2011

this rabbit year..

2011 is the year of the rabbit.. and this year's CNY celebration really does pale in comparison to last year..  :s

Reunion dinner is always a big deal in my family, where most of my uncles will gather and have a sumptuous dinner together at one of my uncle's house.. We always needed 2 tables to accommodate 20+ attendees (uncles, aunties and cousins).. this year, there was only 8 of us.. 2 of my uncles decided to go overseas, while 2 other uncles decided not to be present.. each trying to avoid the another... all because of some monetary issues/disagreement.. very sad, yet very human..

One of the many reasons that I don't really like is the emphasize on 发财 (making a fortune). Almost every single CNY song is about getting rich and making a fortune. Is this a characteristic trait of Chinese? What about family togetherness? Health and well-being? or simple Happiness? Why must everything be linked to material gains? I am so sick of being "judged" (whether I am successful or not) on the criteria of how much I earn per month/year!! Of course I won't mind earning 6 figure annually, but not at the expense of my happiness and well-being! I rather earn less and be happy, then earn more but stressed out/frustrated...

This year, I wish for health and well-being for all my family members, immediate or otherwise, and all my friends. For myself, I pray for fulfillment and satisfaction. I might be upset and frustrated if my plan(s) fall through, but at least I know I went for it.. As long as I did my best, I have no regrets..

万事如意!(Let everything goes smoothly!)
心想事成!(May all your wishes come true!)
身体健康!(Stay healthy!)

:)  ;)  :)  ;)

No comments: