Mar 31, 2011

Kota Kinabalu: food

Before the trip, I told myself that I will try, as many as possible, food that is uniquely KK, Sabah and/or East Malaysia.. and I would not eat in any restaurants or fast food outlets.. :)

Did some research over the Net on the food that are recommended.. there are many recommendations to try out Italian, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian and American restaurants in KK, which I've decided not to take.. To me, it is like going to Tokyo to eat fish-n-chips, or going to Rusia to eat ramen! Why travel over the way to East Malaysia to try out food that are not native there?? Why go all the way to KK just to eat in an Italian restaurant, for example? It makes no sense to me..
 
Anyway, here are some of the food that I had... :)

ngau-chap (includes beef balls, beef slices, tripe and noodle) from Yee Fung Kopitiam with herbal tea..
cost: MYR$ 4.50 + $ 2.50
Very "herby".. it tasted more like bak-kut teh than beef soup..

Tastiness: :) :)  (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) :) (out of 5)

bubble tea (local brand)..  with pearl from Centre Point.
cost: MYR$ 3.80
so-so, nothing special.. and frankly, the price is rather expensive..

Tastiness: :) 1/2  (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) (out of 5)

mi jian kueh (chinese peanut pancake), the thin crispy type that I can't find in Taiping, from Centre Point.
cost: MYR$ 1.00 per piece
Tastiness: :) :) :) 1/2 (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) :) :) (out of 5)



ham jim peng (salty fried bun), fried yam and ais kacang (shaved ice with syrup)
cost: MYR$ 1.00 per piece, MYR$ 4.00 for ais kacang
The size of these kueh are bigger than those found in Taiping, but no less tasty.. while the ais kacang had lychee instead of attap seeds.
Tastiness: :) :) :) (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) :) :) (out of 5)



rojak campur from Kedai Kopi Sofa
cost: MYR$ 4.50
Noodles, cucumber, bean sprout and beef with tasty peanut sauce..
Tastiness: :) :) 1/2 (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) :) 1/2 (out of 5)



fried hokkien mee from Ang's Hotel
cost: MYR$ 4.50
traditional, dark-sauced type..
Tastiness: :) :) :) 1/2 (out of 5)
Value for money: :) :) :) :) (out of 5)


Here are some drinks that I bought:

Orange juice, made in Australia.. MYR$ 7.90
trusted remedy to prevent myself from getting sick while traveling... :)

Oranjeboom (beer) from Holland.. MYR$ 4.60
not too sure if it is cheaper or more expensive than in Peninsular Malaysia..


Happoshu (beer) from Asahi Breweries, Japan.. MYR$ 6.99
 oh, how I miss the taste of Japan.. :(

Thomas Kemper's Black Cherry Soda.. from the US.. MYR$ 5.50
p/s: managed to open it without a bottle opener.. :p

Some of the local products that I bought and brought home.. :)

Teh Sabah.. for my dad, a tea-drinker/lover..

Tenom Coffee..

Keropok Amplang (prawn/fish crackers)

Kueh Cincin (ring biscuit)

Next will be my last entry on KK.. Just some misc photos and a quick wrap-up....

No comments: