Jun 8, 2011

lousy customer service

Let me paint you a scenario:
You sent your laptop for repair about 2 weeks ago. As it was still under warranty, the shop had to send it to the regional service center for parts replacement. You called the shop to inquire about the status as you were told that it will done in 2 weeks. Due to some reasons, your laptop were only sent to the service center (by the shop) 2 days ago!

Which version of the 'truth' would you want to hear from the shop?

"Sorry, your laptop was only sent to the service center 2 days ago as our boss were too busy." "But I passed it to you 2 weeks ago!!" "Yes, but my boss was very busy so he only sent it 2 days ago.."

Or

"Sorry, your laptop is still not back from the service center. Let me check with the service center again. I will give you a call immediately once it is back.."

Yes, the first version is the (ugly) truth.. but in good customer service, you don't tell your customer the truth when you know it will anger him/her. You want to make sure your customer is happy so that they will be back and give you more business. If telling them the truth doesn't help with the situation, then DON'T! Customers don't want to know if you were busy/sick/dying, they just want to know that you are doing everything you can to serve them and satisfy their request(s).

There is no falsehood in the 2nd version, just that an important information was left out. The fact is that my laptop is STILL with the service center and all I can do is wait.. Why pissed me off by telling me that the shop owner procrastinated for 2 weeks in sending my laptop to service center?? Is he implying that he is so BUSY with OTHER businesses that he had no time to look into my 'problem'?

Anyway, I didn't raise my voice at the lady who picked up my call nor did I scold/shout at her.. to me, she was just plain clueless and had no idea what a terrible blunder she had made.. But do rest assured that I WILL make my annoyance known (to the shop owner) when I go and retrieve my laptop from them in a few weeks time..

No comments: