Jun 27, 2011

Singapore 2011: food

Other than USS, my sis and I were pretty excited about the food in Singapore.. contrary to many Msians, we both prefer the food in Lion City.. it is hard to explain the reason why, but both of us simply fancy the food there more..

Anyway, we went around Resort World Sentosa and VivoCity and tried a few restaurants there.. and here are some of the photos.. :)

Marche, VivoCity
We went there for dinner on our first night.. Been craving for their Rösti since I knew we're gonna spent lots  of time in VivoCity.. :p

So no surprise that I ordered Rösti with garlic sausage.. with Bundaberg Root Beer..

My sis had mushroom crepe.. which was really very tasty.. and Bundaberg Ginger Ale..

In Marche, you order your food at the prep counter and have your order recorded in these cards. You present these cards and pay at the counter when you leave.

Bill: SGD$ 37.90
Tastiness: 4 out of 5
Value for $$: 3.5 out of 5 (slightly on the pricey side)


Palio, Resort World Sentosa
Due to cancellation of the show, Voyage de la Vie, which was part of my hotel package, we were compensated with vouchers worth SGD$ 150 to be spent in USS and several restaurants within Resort World. Thus I decided to take my sis to an Italian restaurant for a change.. also I've been wanting to relive my Italian experience almost 2 years ago.. :)

I had free-flow of sparkling water, since I didn't feel like having juice or hot drinks.. while my sis had pineapple-orange-lime juice.. a sour drink that I won't touch.. :p

We had a very helpful waiter who gave us recommendation and explanation of the dishes available.. so we managed to order food that we like to have..




First for the appetizer, we had prosciutto e melone (melon wrapped in Proscuitto ham)  which was recommended by the waiter.. I liked the sweet and salty combination a lot while my sis was nonchalant..

and the bread served was simply delicious.. crusty outside and tender soft inside.. we almost wanted finish the entire loaf.. :p but we didn't as we wanna save our stomach for the main course and dessert..

I ordered linguini carbonara as I had a craving for creamy pasta.. it was creamy and full of flavor.. very good...

while my sis had the restaurant's signature pizza, Michael Pizza.. lots of cheese and a fair amount of seafood..

finally, we shared chocolate crostata (Italian dessert tart) with mint ice-cream, which rounded up the dinner very nicely...

Bill: SGD$ 98 (we used our voucher so didn't really feel the pinch.. :p)
Tastiness: 4.5 out of 5
Value for $$: 4 out of 5 (a bit on the expensive side, but worth the $$)


Pu Tien Restaurant, VivoCity
A close friend of mine took me to this restaurant more than 5 years ago and I wanted to bring my sister to try.. we decided to have lunch there, which was a good choice as the Kopitiam at VivoCity was packed with people..

As both of us are very hungry we decided to order 3 dishes to share.. with a pot of chrysanthemum tea..

Fried "Hing Wa" Bee Hoon - nicely fried, fairly delicious.. but nothing fantastic..

Pu Tien Lor Mee - lots of ingredients.. good soupy noodle dish..

Braised Pig Intestine (at my sister's request) - chewy but tender.. nicely braised..

Truth be told, it wasn't as fantastic as I remembered.. and my sister made a comment that stupefied me, "wah, pay so much for Mian Fen Gao 面粉糕 (Anchovy Flat Noodle Soup)" which was fairly true, in some sense...

Bill: SGD$ 40.84 (too expensive for such 'common' dishes)
Tastiness: 3 out of 5
Value for $$: 2 out of 5


Carl's Jr, VivoCity
My sis loves fast-food.. McDonald, KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Mos Burger, etc.. so I had to bring her to this fast food joint in VivoCity..

I ordered an original ThickBurger set meal.. the fries were very good.. winner among all fast food chains, in my opinion..

while my sis ordered a garden salad as she was having indigestion.. :(  but she did taste my burger.. well, there is always next time!

Bill: SGD$ 17
Tastiness: 3.5 out of 5
Value for $$: 3.5 out of 5



Other than the above, we also patronized Burger King, Mr Bean Soya, BreadTalk and Boost Juice Bars.. some of the restaurants/food we wanted to try but didn't get the chance includes Mos Burger, Ajisen Ramen, Yoshinoya and Swensen's. Didn't realize that both of us missed Japanese food that much.. :p

Next and final blog entry, shopping! :) :)

No comments: