Jun 30, 2011

lousy customer service.. pt 2

After almost 10 days, my laptop has been repaired and ready to be collected.. Alas, the lady from the shop made another big boo-boo when she called me for collection..

Actually, it was my sister who took the call.. and this was what she recounted.. they were conversing in Mandarin/Chinese, so I shall provide a translation below.


“喂?”       “Ya?”
“Ms. G 吗?”       “是的。”
“你的laptop修好了,等一下你来拿。”       “今天没空,明天啦。。”
“哦,那你明天来拿。”       “Okay。”

"Wei?"      "Ya?"
"Is that Ms G?"       "Yes."
"Your laptop has been repaired. You come and collect it later."
      "Today not free. Maybe I come tomorrow.."
"Oh.. then you come tomorrow."       "Okay. "

The thing is my sister was quite pissed.. because of the way the lady spoke.. It was as if she was ordering us to collect MY laptop..

Think about it.. They DELAYED sending my laptop for repair by 2 weeks, cos "my boss was very busy", to quote the lady... when it was repaired, she ORDERED me to come and collect it immediately... what kind of customer service is this??!!?? But then, as I come to think deeper, if she has good telephone skills, she won't be working for a small PC repair shop in a small town, right??

Anyway, I went and collected my laptop the next day. I had wanted to use sarcasm to express my dissatisfaction, but I then decided against it.. What is the point of telling her her fault when she is so clueless about it.. I am not going to waste my time/energy on people who do not deserve it..

One thing I realized is that most people has lost their sense of empathy and compassion.. People has become more inconsiderate and less conscientious... people do whatever they like, whenever they like because they know they can get away with it.. People are getting better educated, but it doesn't mean that they are becoming more civilized.. being rich doesn't mean you are a better person.. holding high post doesn't mean respect will be given unconditionally.. being a university graduate doesn't mean you are smart.. People are getting all their priorities wrong.. 

Maybe that is one of the reasons why I wanted to lecture.. I want to teach or "preach" to the younger generations.. unveil to them their seeming ignorance and unmasked their incivility.. things that they are so oblivious about.. things that they are supposed to know and take on.. for the past 20-30 years, way too many parents spent their time trying to make as much $$ for their family as possible that they neglect to teach their kids the right values.. of course, all I can do is to share with them my experience and my thoughts.. I can't make the horse drink the water, but at least I can show them the Five Ws of Life.. what they do with my 'advice' is entirely up to them..

In my opinion, many educational institutions, local and foreign, have lost sight of what they are supposed to do, which is to educate the next generation to be productive citizens (of the world), instead they got caught up in a ranking race.. there is no use of churning out thousands of graduates each year and most of them being unemployable, as majority of them lack even the basic business etiquette and self-discipline.. I am a firm believer that the world, as a whole, needs to embrace a new type of world order.. one where people are encourage to go for less, rather than more..

2 comments:

Christine said...

Right on! I have also sort of included these kind of advice in my classes - some zone out but some listen esp when I told them I'm talking to them as if they are my own kids LOL

Guess you're taking the "I'm your older sister" stance ;-)

Imm said...

Ya.. kinda think that it will work better if I (try to) don't talk "down" to them but treat it as experience sharing..