Dec 31, 2009

Looking Back.. III

Once again, here we are, on the last day of the year..

Looking back at my resolution for 2009, I did lose some weight but not quite enough (just 2kg).. Read a few books but didn't meet the target I set out (only managed 27 books).. Didn't take JLPT Level 1 and my Japanese oral skills still suck as ever, and since I have left Japan, the motivation to keep on improving is very much lacking nowadays.. Haven't been updating or refreshing my technical knowledge since my graduation last Sept.. :(

Yet, I must say that 2009 is THE year where my wanderlust is triggered and satisfied.. Been to 11 countries, if I were to include my own country.. Japan (Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Hiroshima, Matsuyama, Okayama, Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto), Taiwan (just Taipei), Hong Kong, Macau, Italy (Rome, Florence, Siena and Milan), France (Nice, Lyon, Macon and Paris), Monaco, Vatican City, Singapore and finally Australia (Brisbane and Gold Coast).. So in a way, I definitely fulfilled two of my resolutions for the year, Explore Japan more and Travel to neighboring countries.. :)

Other than all these traveling, the other "crazy" thing that I have done in 2009 is tandem-skydiving! :) Yes, I paid good (Australian) money to throw myself out of a plane at 14,000 feet in one of the most beautiful skydiving spots in Australia.. as a present to myself on my 35th birthday.. :) The adrenalin rush was indescribable.. after this, everything else pales in comparison.. ;) I feel indestructible!

This year I went to a lot more social events and made quite a few new friends too.. Instead of holing up in my room like I did during most of my time in Japan, I did venture out more often, either with friends or alone.. Didn't watch as many TV series or movies as 2008, but nonetheless I was duly entertained and stimulated.. And I too realized that I can be friendly and chatty if I want to..

Building upon these newly "discovered" sides of me, I have come out with 7 new year resolutions for 2010. I shall try to be as specific as possible about these goals:
  • 68kg => This is straightforward enough. 68kg is my ideal weight based on the calculation of BMI.
  • Drive => Need to relearn my driving. Felt very restrictive and handicapped without this important skill.
  • Swim => Another important skill to have. Unable to fully enjoy the beaches that I have been to. Not going to have that kind of regrets next time!
  • 60 books => That means 5 books a month, which is quite achievable. At least a third of them has to be non-English books and minimum 3 Japanese books.
  • PhD/Lecturing =>This is a long shot, but I am still putting it in as one of my new year resolutions. I still think that I will make a good lecturer/academician.
  • Doing something new every month/week/day => In order not to go back to my "hermit shell", I will try to do something new or different every day/week/month.
  • Be open and stay truthful to my believes, feelings and myself.
Although I must admit that I am kinda relieved to let this crazy roller-coastery eventful year go, there is no doubt that 2009 has been monumental in my life in so many ways and I shall not forget it for years to come.. This is the year in which I had experienced many new things and new emotions, with countless euphoric highs and tormented lows that often made me wonder whether I had been "alive" all those previous years.. It is also the year that I have done so many things that I didn't realize I am capable of.. And I won't trade any of these for anything in the world!

Am looking forward to 2010.. hoping for stability and growth in the coming new year.. aimed to start anew and afresh.. :) although I still have no idea where I will eventually end up, I believe that I am ready for whatever challenges that might be thrown at me along the way..

And finally, Happy New Year everyone!! Have a blessed and fruitful 2010!!

No comments: