Dec 1, 2009

Western Japan 2009: Matsuyama

One of my to-do list in Japan was to visit all four islands of Japan, if possible.. and ever since I have decided on this Western Japan tour, Shikoku Island became a must-visit and with Matsuyama being the largest city in the Island, it was an obvious destination.. :)

Took a 2.5 hour ferry ride from Hiroshima to get to Matsuyama.. Since I wasn't in a hurry or anything, I quite enjoyed this one and only sea travel of the trip..

Took the ropeway up Katsuyama Hill early in the morning to visit Matsuyama Castle (松山城) which was withing walking distance from my hotel room.. This is one of the few castles that is worth visiting..

Actually I had it all planned out nicely.. Some places I would go hiking, biking or just walk around, Matsuyama was one of the places that I had intended to visit my first Onsen.. but alas, that was not to be, as my "monthly inconvenience" "arrived" earlier than anticipated.. :( So all I could do was to walk around the Dōgo Onsen Honkan (道後温泉本館), taking pictures of its exterior and the shops around it instead of experiencing the oldest and most famous Onsen in Japan.. :( :( I was even prepared to pay for the most expensive package that came with the use of a private room and refreshment!

In the end, I just took my time to explore the Dogo area, some shrines/temples and also the downtown shopping area.
Isaniwa Shrine (伊佐爾波神社)

No comments: