Jul 23, 2010

V, BSG and Glee

Been watching plenty of TV dramas lately... :P

BSG stands for Battlestar Galactica.. I've finished watching all four seasons of it (total of 75 episodes).. including the 10 webisodes and 2 movies.. Never since Babylon 5 and Star Trek: The Next Generation, I have watched any space-related sci-fi series.. so BSG was like a re-introduction back to space sci-fi.. I was somewhat influenced by all the good reviews that BSG has gotten that I decided to give it a chance.. and I was not disappointed, although I must confessed that Season 2 kinda bored me.

Writers for BSG did a very good job in giving all the main characters real human flaws that we all can relate to. Even though the plot could be rather confusing at times, the overall story arch was coherent and believable.. But I do have one major complaint, the "salvation/redemption" of one of the main characters. Personally, I hate his narcissism and his constant babbling about the Cylon God who "loves him and has great plans for him".. He was responsible for the near-extinction of the human race and many more atrocities, yet he survived to live "happily ever after" when other more deserving characters didn't.. :x But again, such things happen rather often in real life too, doesn't it?

V is an "aliens-are-evil-and-gonna-annihilate-human-but-no-one-knows-it-except-us-so-we-must-fight" kinda series. It was so bad that I barely made it pass its 2nd episode. I started on it because one of the main characters, Elizabeth Mitchell, was from LOST, a series that I liked. But the plots are thin and predictable, the characters very cliche and the special effects were nothing to shout about.. So I stopped watching..

I must admit that I only started watching Glee when I found out that it had received 19 Primetime Emmy Award nominations early this month. I didn't watch any of those High School Musical series, O.C. or Gossip Girls cos I think I am way too old to be watching a bunch of high-school kids going through their teenage angst.. Thus I was utterly surprised when I realized that I really enjoyed every single episode of Glee, especially that episode on Lady Gaga (3rd last episode of Season 01).. I love the way they did all the song mash-ups and dance choreography.. It made me chuckled, laughed and cried.. Can't wait for the 2nd season to start in Sept.. :)

Mmmm... Still have The Pacific, Firefly, Stargate Universe, Drop Dead Diva Season 02, True Blood Season 03, a couple of Japanese drama series and anime to watch.. Oh ya, finished reading 2 books too.. Beginning to enjoy the free time that I have without feeling guilty.. :P

No comments: