Dec 14, 2010

what i want for Christmas (and my BD)..

It is 9 days to my BD and 2 more to Christmas.. Last year I treated myself to an experience of a lifetime - skydiving off Byron Bay, Australia.. :) And spend A LOT of $$ at the same time too.. This year, I don't think I will (be able to) do anything THAT exciting nor expensive..

This year, my sister asked me to pick a present. I am really touched by her gesture. My baby sister is buying me present! How cool is that??!! :) That got me thinking.. should I asked her to donate the money to a charity like what I've asked my friends to do, or should I cut myself some slack and let her get me a present?

Giving myself some leeway for wishing (or should I say, daydreaming), WHAT do I want for my BD (and Christmas) this year?? Mmmmm... No. 1 on my wishing list is Amazon Kindle. Being a avid reader, I like to read all kinds (different categories/genre) of books, not to mention all the PDF books, magazines, academic journals and papers that I got off the Net.. eBook is the way to go as a viable means to save all the trees in the world, other than borrowing the books from the library. And my sister can well afford the USD$139 price-tag (plus another USD$15 for shipping).

But the question remains: (which I asked myself before every purchase of electronic goods) Do I really need it now?? And the anwer to that is a clear NO, as I don't have the time to use it right now. Like I mentioned before, I am fairly busy with my translation jobs, and whatever free time I have, I either spend it with my family, watch drama/movies (from the Net) or read (magazines and journal papers). I do not have the time to FULLY utilize the functionalities of the Kindle, right now. It will, most likely, be sitting on my desk, looking pretty and collecting dust. I do not want to "waste" nearly MYR$ 600 on something that will add to my clutter at home. So Amazon Kindle shall remain an item on my wish list, for now.. :)

Then what do I want as a present?? Seriously, I don't know. There is nothing that I NEED right now, but plenty of stuff that I WANT. I WANT a Amazon Kindle, a new laptop, a new Terabyte external HDD, a 2nd-hand car, a holiday outside Asia, a Tag Heuer watch, and many many more.. Yet, currently I don't NEED anything: my 3-year old laptop is still in working condition (although the screen has burnt out and I am plugging it to a 14-inch CRT monitor); I still have one 250GB external HDD (although the other 500GB one has died on me recently); I don't need a car as I have nowhere to go (and no one to meet up); I am going to Kota Kinabalu next Mar and maybe Bangkok after that (so I am satisfying my travel lust); I have more Swatches than I can possibly wear which I had accumulated over the years and I still lives with my parents.

What I really WANTED can't be bought.. and I think those whom I still keep in contact know what I really WANT for 2011.. but if I were to choose something for my BD that money can "bring", then I would opt for a nice dinner in a good restaurant and a long karaoke session. :)

No comments: