Dec 17, 2007

Big Foot in Japan..

Been a while since my last blog.. been busy..

Today's entry is kinda late too, should have written this earlier.. :p

As someone with big feet, it has always been a struggle for me to get shoes and it is worse for a girl.. I can still remember, when I was growing up, the hassle and pain of searching for a pair of suitable shoes for Chinese New Year.. :( :( The average shoe size for ladies is size 5 or 6, while for me, I need a size 9 (at least)! So can you imagine the looks I get when I ask for size 9 and what they must be thinking..

Things got better when I went to Singapore. Over there, the shoe sizes of up to 10 are available.. Although they are slightly more expensive and only limited to a couple of brands, but hey, at least I can get something other than sports shoes..

Before I came to Japan, I am already half expecting the same issue of not able to find shoes that fit to occur. And yes, indeed it happened. :( :( Before, I had already made up my mind to wear 1 pair of sport shoes and 1 pair of flat heels for this entire year. However, the sport shoes that I brought over is neither water-proof nor is it wind-proof. So I had to get a new pair of shoes in Japan.. :x

One of first thing I noticed is that the shoe sizes here are all in centimeters... I was lost.. After searching and checking the web, I realised that my shoe size would have to be around 28cm.. And the thing is, the largest shoe size for ladies here is 25cm... so I can never wear those high heel boots or those fancy shoes that we used to see on TV, worn by those Jap girls, not that I would want to wear them in the first place.. :p

Thus the next option is to look for shoes that are unisex. With those, the shoe sizes will be from size 22cm (who the heck would have such small feet!!!) till size 32cm.. So I went online to check out the shoes sold in some of the big shoe outlets.. and found out that the average shoe prices would be between 5,500yen to 9,000yen..

Thus in the end, I bought these shoes... the main reason for getting this pair is that the sole is flexible enough and there are sufficient traction. I hate those shoes that is so stiff that it's like wearing a wood clog or so smooth its sole that one can fall flat on one's face anytime!! This pair of Puma cost 6,300yen, which is equivalent to SGD82.

I don't think I will be buying anymore shoes, except high heels maybe.. Almost everyone is wearing high heels, even some of the guys (not very obvious).. :x :x It is really amazing to see the kinds of high heels these Japanese ladies are wearing and the fact they could actually cycle (on a bicycle) with those, on top of the short shirts they are wearing.. :o :x :o Will talk about that some other time...

No comments: