Oct 21, 2007

Happy 125th Birthday Waseda!

Today is Waseda University's 125th Anniversary..

There were lots of activities scheduled in the campus today.. Yet I didn't attend. Why you might asked. Well, I don't know.. maybe it's laziness, maybe it's indifference, maybe..... Most probably it's due to the fact that I've yet to develop a strong attachment to the Uni.. I will not do something if I don't feel that I could gain anything from it.. call me selfish, but that's the main concern for me.. I rather spend my time doing things that will gratify me (especially in terms of knowledge or spiritual growth) than use that time on something that others think I 'should/supposed to' do...

So far, I began to have some sense of attachment to my research lab and my graduate school.. maybe it will take a few more months to really feel the connection to Waseda, what it meant to be a part of it... This is similar to the 'evolution of feelings' when I first went to NUS.. First I identified myself more closely to Eusoff Hall then my own faculty, cos I spent almost 80% of my time in my hostel.. Then slowly, the sense of attachment grew to include NUS..

I always need time to feel "included" or being a part of some organisation.. I'm those whom people called 慢热 (can be translated as "slow to warm up"). Unlike those who could talked/behaved as if they are your best friends from the very beginning, I need time to warm up and open up..

Anyway, "Happy Birthday, Waseda Uni!!". May there be more 125years ahead for you! :)

No comments: