Oct 7, 2007

My Research Lab

Had been wanting to write about my research lab since last year, but I didn't have photos to go with.. So I thought that I would wait for the photos taken (thanks Shinta!) during last semester's farewell party before writing. All the photos in this entry was taken in Jul this year.


This is my Sensei, Professor Obi. As he went to Columbia University and worked in the UN before, thus he is not quite the typical 'strict and conservative' Japanese professor.. :) Very approachable, when he has time.. :)





These are my English-speaking lab mates..
The Ladies (from left): Yao (from China, graduated last semester), Michelle (from US-Taiwan, Master's Year 1), Me, Hai (from Vietnam, PhD Year 1), Jayne (from the Philippines, graduated last semester) and Shinta (from Indonesia, Master's Year 1).
The Guys (from left): Rahim (from Malaysia, graduated last semester), Bobby (from the Philippines, Masters Yr 2), Arief (from Indonesia, graduated last semester), Ilu (from Samoa, research student) and Joe (from Taiwan, PhD Yr 2). Not in the picture is Luis (from Peru, PhD Yr 1) and Diana (from Russia, PhD Yr 2).


This was the big happy family of Obi Lab for last semester. There are about 38 students in the lab, either Master's, PhD or research students. This is the largest research lab in my graduate school. It is also a mini-United Nations, with Chinese and Taiwanese being the majority. My Sensei even joked that maybe he should start taking Chinese lessons, since the most commonly used language after Japanese and English is Chinese.. :p Most of the Chinese students in my research lab can speak fluent Japanese, thus I do not really have the opportunity to mix and hang out with them.. and add to the fact that most of them are all fresh graduates, so there is a 'small' age gap between us.. :p The English-speaking lab mates are mostly sent by their governments or had worked a few years, except for a few who had never worked full time before..

Hopefully my Japanese will be good enough so that I will be able to join the Japanese group in their weekly seminar with Sensei in my last semester.. :)

More photos of the farewell party of my research lab in Jul 2007.

No comments: