Aug 31, 2007

Dinner at Mahathir

Was asked to join some celebrations on Merdeka day.. we ended up having dinner at a Malaysian restaurant at Shin-Ookubo, called Mahathir.. To me, the place was like celebration decorations gone astray.. there were pictures of Mahathir, AAB, fake plants hanging from the ceiling, batik here and there, decorations for Hari Raya, Deepavali, Chinese New Year everywhere.. a bit too messy for my taste.. but it does kinda looked ethnic/authentic Malaysian to the locals..

There were 5 of us who made it to the makan gathering.. 4 Chinese and 1 Malay, but all Malaysians! We ordered nasi lemak, mee curry and fried beehoon. I had the fried beehoon and it was not up to my standard.. In fact my order was forgotten until much later.. :@ which by the time it did arrive, I was way passed having any appetite and the beehoon was too spicy for my liking.. I didnt order the curry mee or the nasi lemak as my stomach is still a bit sensitive having just recovered recently from stomachache.. so in the end, I only ate half the beehoon..

But it was a good dinner as we talked and joked.. It was good to talk about our differences and similarities.. Cos seriously, I've not been celebrating Merdeka Day for a very long time.. It was just another ordinary day for me when I was working in Singapore.. and most of the Msians I meet there had nothing good to say about the place they left behind.. Only today I finally realized that there was nothing amiss among ordinary Malaysians.... We can always sit down together, minum teh tarik/kopi/milo/horlick and just talk-kok.. If there is a Malay among the group, we just look for a restaurant that serves halal food, no big deal, we all do understand.. there isnt any issue about who is Malay/Chinese/Indians/Lain-lain.. we are all Malaysians!!

So Happy Merdeka Day to all Malaysians all over the world! Hope the next 50years will be better than the last 50years..

No comments: