Oct 30, 2008

"Happening" Day

In Singlish, "happening" is being used frequently and not the proper adjective, eventful, to describe a day.. Thus instead of saying "today was an eventful day", we say "today very happening".. :P

Yes, yesterday was quite happening for me.. In short, I witnessed a traffic accident on my way to school and I got a hair cut.. :P Should have written about it earlier but was too tired after my karate practice last night..

As usual, I walked to school from Takadanobaba Station... There is a 3-way junction just before reaching the West Exit of Waseda Campus, right in front of a Mitsubishi UFJ Bank. I was on the opposite side of the bank. Around 8:35am, I was approaching the pedestrian crossing when the green light started blinking. Since I was fairly early, I didn't see the need to rush across the road and so I stopped. I had barely stopped in front of the pedestrian crossing when a big two-seater bike got ramped from the side by a taxi which was turning left without signaling.. It felt so unreal watching the biker and his girlfriend get hit. They skidded across the road and landed in the middle of the road.. Luckily, both vehicles were not traveling fast as they had stopped for the traffic light a moment before.. The guy shouted at the taxi to stop and took his girlfriend aside before pushing his big bike to the side of the road.. The taxi driver got out, bowing and apologizing non-stop, while the unlucky passenger in the taxi went to comfort the girl.. At that time, the traffic light changed, and I walked on..

I didn't wanna wait around being a busybody.. The last thing these people want is a group of onlookers gawking at their misfortune.. But knowing how "rare" such accidents is in Japan, I won't blame these bystanders for wanting to have a look.. It was only after my Japanese class did I have the time to really reflect on that accident.. Frankly, it was quite shocking to see an accident happening right in front of me and also knowing fully that if I were to reach the crossing 10-20 second earlier, there could be a chance for me to be hit by one of the vehicles involved in the accident.. A split second decision not to rush across the road might just have saved me..

Anyway, I got over the shock by noon.. :P

On my way back home, I went for a hair cut that was long overdue.. Had been wanting to cut my hair as it was getting messier and more difficult to manage.. Almost all of the highlighted part of my hair were cut off as it had grown so much since I got it highlighted in Singapore more than 8 months ago .. Haven't had my original hair color for a long long while.. ;) It was always highlighted or colored with colors ranging from reddish to brownish.. Maybe I might want to get it highlighted next year before I go back for Chinese New Year...

No comments: