Jun 9, 2009

Meeting Mr. President..

Through a friend, I got to know of a luncheon hosted by the Singapore Embassy for Singaporeans and PRs to meet with President Nathan, who was on a one-week official visit to Japan..

I went to the luncheon alone.. formally attired.. not knowing who I will meet there.. and not having any expectation at all.. Seriously, this is the first time I am doing such things.. And frankly I was surprised at myself too for agreeing to go for the event, as there are many cons that would have stopped me from going..
  • Need to dress up in formal wear..
  • Not knowing anyone there, except for the friend (Christy) who told me about the event..
  • Need to make small talks..
But I treated this as an opportunity to know more people.. to talk to people who knows what I meant by "blur like sotong" or "catch no ball".. Sometimes it just felt good to have someone understand what you are saying without having to explain the phrase or context..

The venue was at the New Otani Hotel, just 30 minutes away from my house (train plus walking).. But with the high-heel boots, it felt so much further.. I reached there around 11:40am.. Showed them my registration and was given a little sticker of Singapore flag to be pasted on my jacket.. Suddenly I felt kinda patriotic.. :p

The venue was already filled with people.. think the total expected attendees was around 300.. comprised of families, business people, students and government personnel.. Since I don't know anyone else, I went around observing people.. :p Haven't heard so much Singlish being spoken for a long while.. it was sure nostalgic (!?!) and comforting.. :)

President Nathan arrived about an hour later.. with his wife and the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr George Yeo..
After the speech, the buffet started.. at the same time, President Nathan went around the hall, meeting and talking, and posing for photos with the crowd.. Being one who is not as kiasu or beh-paiseh as the average Singaporeans, I didn't manage to shove my way into having a photo taken with the President..

One grouses that I have was the way those security personnel behave.. although it was necessary to protect the President and understandable that he has a tight schedule to follow, there was no need to be rude or unaccommodating to people who would like their photos taken with the President.. It wasn't as if we were gonna to do anything to the President nor was there anything to gain if we REALLY did.. Come on, the President is just a figure head.. Am just pissed at how arrogant some of them were, just because they were in a position to be.. These "henchmen" had spoiled this great PR-exercise for some of us..

Other than the chance to meet the President, another "attracting factor" of this luncheon is the food!! :) :p :) Got the chance to satisfy my cravings of some Singaporean food.. :)

Met Mr George Yeo at the queue for Chicken Rice.. :) Imagine that.. A Minister having had to queue up like the rest of us for Chicken Rice.. It really showed that there were no special treatment given, not even for a Minister!! And he was really very nice and modest.. Took a photo with him, together with a new friend.. :)

Throughout the whole duration of the luncheon, never once did I feel unaccepted.. I felt welcomed.. and the sense of belongings was unmistakable, even though I don't know 99.9% of the people there.. I wasn't judged by the fact that I am "just" a PR, unlike in some situations with my fellow-countrymen, in which I was constantly reminded that I wasn't patriotic "enough", being out of the country almost my whole adult life.. even the emotions that I felt looking at the flags of both countries were different.. I just do not know how to convey those two contrasting feelings in words.. and I shall not try.. :)

No comments: