Aug 29, 2009

Appreciating Art

Had to drag myself out of the house after 3 days of self-imposed "house-arrest"... :)

Since I hate crowds (if you don't know by now), I decided to visit some of the Art museums in Ueno.. After the trip to Italy and France, I realized that I LOVE to see paintings and sculptures.. and so I went...

First stop, National Museum of Western Art.. The entrance fee was cheap.. as a student, I only paid ¥130! Of course, the collections in this Museum is as grandeur as compared to those Museums in Europe, but it is sufficient with a couple of paintings from Picasso and Monet.. Shall talk about them later..

Placed outside the Museum are several sculptures by Auguste Rodin, (1840–1917) the famous French sculptor..

The Thinker (Le Penseur)

The Gates of Hell (La Porte de l'Enfer)
The Burghers of Calais (Les Bourgeois de Calais)


I wasn't prepared to see such astounding pieces of art.. Although these aren't the original pieces but commissioned replicas, yet to see those work of art so up close is really something.. Especially The Burghers of Calais.. such sorrow and despair transfixed on the faces of these six men..



One thing I noticed when I got into the galleries is that it is so quiet..spacious.. and all paintings are nicely lighted.. and also there weren't that many people around too.. so I get to admire the paintings at my own pace.. spending time looking at the details or getting a perspective look slightly further from the paintings..

There were several more smaller sculptures by Rodin within the Museum itself.. Personally I liked Nereides, The Kiss and Fallen Caryatid Carrying Her Stone. Can't take photos in the Museum, so no pictures here.. Think I am going to google Rodin more often.. Really liked his sculptures.. the intensities of his subjects..

After seeing several paintings by Monet and Picasso, I must confess that I don't like their style.. For Picasso, I don't get it.. yet again, art is subjective..

Next is the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum..


It was having several exhibitions at the time.. one of them is the Ancient Egypt in Torino, and the other is the 47th ZENTEN Exhibition.. these two are ticketed, while there are several smaller exhibitions that are free..

The Ancient Egypt in Torino exhibition cost ¥1,200 which I think isn't worth the price.. unless one's Japanese is good.. EVERYTHING is in Japanese.. the descriptions and the audio guide was in Japanese only... Plus there was a huge crowd.. so I didn't really enjoy the exhibition as much as I would like to.. Still it was kinda cool to see a couple of mummies and sarcophagus up close.. Even though it was very crowded, people still move along in an orderly manner and keeping their voices low.. also, the local LOVES to buy souvenirs.. either key chains, book marks, papyrus drawings, books, scarves, cookies(!) or whatever related, the Japanese will snapped them up in no time.. Unbelievable!!

The 47th ZENTEN exhibition is to showcase the works of all participants to its competition. Here is the website... They welcome anyone to participate by sending art pieces, either paintings, drawings, photographs, calligraphy, etc.. Some of the paintings are very nice.. won't mind hanging a few of them in my (future) house.. :)

After visiting these museums, I went around some of the temples in the vicinity too.. Haven't really explore the place.. Too bad the Toshogu Shrine is under renovation.. but I stumbled upon a small monument in the Toshogu Shrine compound that is dedicated to the memories of those who died in the A-bomb of Hiroshima and Nagasaki..

The Flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki


Other than Toshogu Shrine, I also went to Kaneigi Temple, Gojo Shrine, Shinobazu-do and Kiyomizu Hall before heading home....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

same here, I hate crowds too,
feel a bit depress todday:P

Christy