Aug 15, 2009

The Fury of Gaia

Most of us would have read/heard about the damages that Typhoon Morakot has inflicted upon Taiwan and coastal areas of China... and how could I ignored the fact that there has been 3 earthquakes registering more than 6 on the Richter scale in Japan since I got back to Malaysia.. (another factor dissuading me from staying in the land of the rising sun..) I can only hope that everyone I know in those areas are safe and unharmed...

Yesterday, there was a freak storm in Taiping.. Staying in an old wooden-brick house that is dated pre-WW II, the rain came through the windows and the roofs started leaking.. Had to put pails to catch the water..

And rags to mop the spilling rain.. at almost every windows.. We even switched off all our lights, as we heard thunders nearby.. The wind was very strong and was howling away.. You can call me sadist, but it was kinda exciting since it has been a long while since I experienced such storms and its effects.. One of the many houses that I have stayed when I was young was very prone to flooding, so I was no stranger to all these "rescue" and "clean-up" tasks.. :P

After about an hour, the storm kinda "mellowed" down.. yet the rain and wind still persisted..

My dad went out to check on our garden.. Some of the plants had collapsed while a few were uprooted..


All in all, everything is okay except for a few wet floors.. But my next door neighbor weren't so lucky.. He lost 2 or 3 of his zinc roof.. and found his study room flooded.. :(

Such is the fury of Gaia.. no matter how we human has advanced in science and technology, or how well we have managed to manipulate nature to our advantage, Mother Earth is still in charge..

1 comment:

§nóflèk said...

wow. didn't know gaia hit our shore?! glad to know nothing serious over your side!