Oct 26, 2012

Mentor

Tomorrow, I’ll be meeting one of my Waseda professors for lunch. Prof Kano was my advisor for my final semester. And I was really blessed to have him as one of my semester advisors.

Needless to say, Prof. Kano is my favorite professor during my time in Japan. Unlike most Japanese professors that I’ve met, he speaks perfect English, with a slight hint of a British accent. His smooth baritone voice is music to my ears, especially compared to the involuntary mispronunciation of the English languages by many of the faculties there.

To me, Prof Kano epitomizes the quintessential scholar. He is dedicated and passionate about his research. Even with his vast knowledge and experience, he still manages to maintain an air of modesty and humility. Furthermore, he really does care about his students and actually takes the trouble and time to know them better. He is demanding yet nurturing. After my disappointment at my own adviser who, in my mind, behaves more like a politician than an academician, Prof Kano showed me that all is not lost. 

Prof Kano inspired me to seriously consider the idea of a career as an academic and a researcher. He is my role model. Though I might not have his bigheartedness and mild temperament, I will try to emulate his dedication, empathy, and compassion. He was and shall always be my beloved mentor.

No comments: