Oct 19, 2012

Bookstore

Went to a bookstore yesterday. Though it is no big deal for me to visit bookstores, since I am a book lover and an avid reader, the purpose of this trip was to look for English books for the two kids that I am teaching. It is unbelievably hard to find bookstores here that carry a decent selection of English books, much less English books for children. So it was a pleasant surprise when I walked into one of the Caves Books bookstores (敦煌書局 ) near Yuan Shan MRT Station (捷運圓山站).

It was full of English books, or should I say, books for those who wanted to learn English. Unlike the ones that I’ve been to in MY and SG, this bookstore has English-learning materials for all levels, from simple ABC flashcards for toddlers to business books and audio CDs for grown-ups. It also carries a small but fairly comprehensive range of popular children storybooks, teenage novels and adult fictions and non-fictions. Nonetheless, I was not tempted one bit by the choices there as I’ve managed to find a very good source of eBooks that I have been loading into my Kindle. So in the end, I just bought two Grade-4 English practice books and a magazine for the kids which came up to NT$960.

No comments: