Oct 29, 2012

Supper

In Taiwan, supper is treated very seriously and not just a stop-gap between meals. Here is how people will typically spend their evening/night: Have dinner, then go drinking and finally have supper before going home. The other major group of supper goers is the undergraduates, where late nights are the norm. Thus one can find stalls or restaurants catering to these groups of people, within the night-live areas and near to tertiary institutions.

One of the many favorite suppers here is fried food. Here, they put almost anything into hot oil. Young corns, cauliflowers, mantou, and French beans are among some of the unconventional ingredients that they will batter coat and deep fry. Of course, the most popular fried food is still fried chicken (and its various varieties) and French fries. My favorite is fried sweet potato which I will have, at most, once every fortnight.

From health perspectives, we were told to skip supper or have something light if we need to eat late at night. And I abide by it. I will not eat after 8pm. If I am hungry, I will drink a cup of hot cocoa instead. Also, I limit my fried food intake to twice a week. As I have to eat out every meal, I choose meat dishes that are stir-fried or bruised. I would rather have some fatty pork than deep-fried lean meat.

No comments: