Jun 29, 2008

Is Google making us stupid?

That is the article I read recently.. I would encourage everyone to read it.. it is located here.

So have you read it? How do you feel? Do you think there is any truth to it? Also did you struggle to finish reading the article at one go?? Did you have to suppress the urge to just skim through the article? Truth to be told, I must admit that I did.. I struggled to read that article in a continuous manner and had to stop myself from skimming through the article to reach the end.. Although I had some inklings about the current "state" of my reading habits and abilities, but this article just knocked me off my chair.. So I wasn't the only one being affected by these...

I has been a avid reader since my school days.. and still are.. a paperback novel of 300 pages is nothing.. I could finish that in 4 hours, max. But now, after spending more and more time online - reading news, articles or snippets of information, I felt that my reading ability is slowly but surely regressing.. I couldn't read books as fast and I tend to skim through passages that I deemed too long.. If we do not do something to regain back these skills/abilities, we are not just getting dumber but we might just lose the ability for critical thinking or reading in-between the lines, so to speak, since we are not training our brains enough to analyze and process the information that are presented to us.

For me, I shall pick up my readings after this July.. I would try to reach the 60 books a year target that I had listed as one of my new year resolutions this year.. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whew...that was ONE long article! Hehe, I skimmed through it too coz I think I'm beyond long paragraphs these days.

However, I don't think the reading habit is out coz I know I'm still reading :) Sounds like you are too.

What makes me wonder though is why Malaysians still don't read when almost everyone else around them(i.e. nations) are???