Jun 7, 2008

Let the game begin!

EURO2008 starts today!!

This year's EURO 2008 is being held jointly by Austria and Switzerland.. which will climax on the 29th Jun with the finals being played in Vienna..



One of the most obvious absentee in this year's championship is England.. With the world wide popularity of English Premier League, soccer fans, particularly in Asia, will miss watching players like Wayne Rooney, Steve Gerrard and John Terry in action. But personally I wouldn't be as I think there are far better non-England players in the world. So in a way this championship will forces soccer fans to take note of other soccer players that are not as glamorous as those England players who seem to be creating news with "talents" other than their soccer skills.

Having been a German soccer team supporter all my life, there is no surprise which team I will be rooting for in this EURO 2008.. :) I was mesmerized by the German team in Mexico World Cup 1986 lead by Lothar Matthäus. Then came players like Jürgen Klinsmann, Thomas Helmer, Oliver Kahn, Dietmar Hamann, Oliver Bierhoff and Bernd Schneider. And now the new generation players like Clemens Fritz, Christoph Metzelder, Torsten Frings, Oliver Neuville and Miroslav Klose.. Hopefully, Germany will perform better than the last EURO where they didn't even make it to the quarter finals..

As with any major tournaments, there will definitely be a handful of players who will emerge as play makers and dominate the matches. Some soccer players' fortune will rise while some will fall. Who will it be? We shall see in the next 22 days.. :)

Ever since soccer betting was legalized in Singapore, I would make a bet on the soccer matches during these types of major tournaments.. :P Although the odds weren't that fantastic, staking a small amount of money onto the game would greatly influence one's emotions and would actually enhanced one's viewing pleasure.. :P Usually I would set a amount that I would spend on each tournament, and once I have reached that amount I would stop. So there was never a danger of being addicted nor the possibility of incurring huge gambling debts..

Just for fun, I will make some predictions for matches this weekend.
Switzerland vs Czech => Czech
Portugal vs Turkey => Portugal
Austria vs Croatia => Draw
Germany vs Poland => Germany

Anyone know of any sites that I could watch these soccer matches for free????

Oh, how I miss watching soccer.. :( :( :(

No comments: