Feb 11, 2010

Birds n Nest

On the first day of Feb, my dad sighted a nest made by a pair of burung merbab (Hook-billed Bulbul) in our garden.. The nest was built among some tea plants..
The nest is about the size of half a rugby ball.. It is at around my chest level, which is kinda low according to my dad. He said there is usually an average of 2 nests found in our garden every year, and usually the nests will be build in the guava tree, which is taller..

I am very excited because this is the first time I am able to get so close to a nest! So with my camera, I slowly approached the nest. I was hoping to see either eggs or chicks.. and I wasn't disappointed.. :) The 2 chicks were motionless and quiet, unlike the common scene of chirping chicks waiting to be fed that we have in mind.. When I showed my sis this photo, she made a comment that brought on a chuckle in me, "They looked like those black kampung chicken that we use to make herbal soup." :D

The parents of these chicks are always nearby, keeping a close eye on their offspring.. I even saw one of them chasing after another bird which came too close to the nest..
They will fly off to look for food, and then take turns feeding the chicks..I decided to keep a daily photo update of the growth of these chicks..

Day 02 (Feb 02)

Day 03 (Feb 03)

Day 04 (Feb 04)

Day 05 (Feb 05)

Day 06 (Feb 06)

Day 07 (Feb 07)

Day 08 (Feb 08)

Day 09 (Feb 09)

Right after I took this photo, this little fella fell off the nest.. :x :x I felt very very very very very very very very bad.. I must have startled it.. it then tried to fly away, but because its body is still too big for its wings, it could only managed to fly down.. It then flew to some wooden boxes that my dad had left at the side of the garden wall. I was very worried that it would be eaten by one of the stray cats that come to the garden once in a while.. yet I couldn't go, catch it and put it back to the nest without startling the other little chick.. I was very upset and felt very guilty too..

I try to keep an eye on it while going about my chores.. When I didn't see the little chick (at those boxes) after a while, I actually panicked and even cried. I felt really bad for indirectly killing it by causing it to fall out of its nest.. I even went to those boxes to see if it had fallen into any of them... :x All kinds of scenarios came into my mind, all the "what ifs"... yet, nothing I do would bring it back again... :( :(

Then after some time when I saw it perched up at a higher rack further down the garden, I was relieved beyond words. Even though I lost track of it a few hours later, I don't feel as bad anymore, as I believe that its parents must have guided it to a better and safer hiding place..

And this is the end of my photo diary.. I do not want to startle the lone chick that is left in the nest.. And most importantly I do not want to have the blood of a(nother) chick on my hands and conscious..

No comments: