Feb 25, 2010

No fins for me..

Being an avid supporter and member of the WWF (no, not the World Wrestling Federation), I have stopped eating shark's fin soup since late 1990s..

As this dish is a must-have in almost all weddings and banquets, I would either try to ensure the omission of it from the banquet or decline my portion of the soup when served. I would tell those seated in the same table that I won't eat it because of the cruelty of shark finning and my support for the conservation of the sharks. Many times I get strange looks from them, maybe they thought that I am crazy to forgo such expensive delicacy. But I stand by my conviction.
Other than shark's fin, I don't consume nor buy whale, tiger, bear, rhino, elephant or any other endangered animal-related products either. Frankly, I don't understand the hype with regards to the so-called "Chinese delicacies" like abalone, sea cucumber or bird's nest. Other than the supposedly show of riches and status, one gains few nutritional values from eating these "delicacies", nutrients which can be easily obtained by eating other sustainable and environmentally friendly food. I intensely loathe those who show off their wealth with senseless material possessions or utter disregards to the environment. I would respect those who uses their money for the betterment of the human race and the earth, helping those in need including saving those endangered animals.

Here is a shark leaflet specially produced by WWF Hong Kong to educate and dissuade people from eating shark's fin soup.



Let's do our part.. When the buying stops, the killing can too...

No comments: