Jul 25, 2011

surgical voyage: post-op II

After that dreadful first 12 hours, everything seemed to have improved, albeit slowly..

"Damage"
1st day: Right side of my face numb and sore; could barely feel my right ear; couldn't feel anything on my lower right jaw; able to smile but lop-sided; couldn't make 'sad' mouth.
1st week: My right face still sore, though less numb; could feel the top of my right ear, still very numb and sore; slight sensation on my lower right jaw; smile getting better; still couldn't make 'sad' mouth.
2nd week: Numbness around my right jaw remains; can feel a third of my right ear, still numb and sore; no improvement on the sensation of my lower right jaw; smile improving; can make 'sad' mouth..
Taken within 12hrs of surgery

Scar
1st day: Very obvious especially with the surgical drain attached; very self-conscious about it.
1st week: Surgical drain taken out but left a big oval 'hole' that was stitched up without anesthetics; scars very obvious; self-conscious about it..
2nd week: Stitches taken out; redness subsiding; scars less obvious; less self-conscious about it..

Pain
1st day: Took prescribed pain killers; not much pain felt around the operated area; most of the pain came from the surgical drain attached..
1st week: Still taking pain killers; stitches taken out; pain at the sutures; pain at the sutured 'hole' left by the drain..
2nd week: Stopped taking pain killers; occasional pain felt at the sutured 'hole' and lower right jaw.
Taken on the 6th day

Food/Drink
1st day: Could eat the porridge and soup that my mum has cooked and that gave me strength and encouragement; eat very slowly; had to use straw to drink.
1st week: Could eat (and chew) normal food although I still can't open my mouth fully; eat slowly; still using straw..
2nd week: Eat at (almost) normal speed; can drink straight from a cup/glass without a straw; tightness around jaw remains while eating..

Movement
1st day: Could sit up and go the the toilet, albeit slowly; could walk for a few minutes before feeling weak; couldn't lift my right hand up due to the surgical drain; left hand numbed due to cannula; couldn't turn my head to the right at all..
1st week: Could walk about normally; both hands recovered; still couldn't turn my head to the right..
2nd week: Almost back to normal; can turn my head slightly to the right..
Taken immediately after stitches removed, 12th day

Sleep
1st day: Could only sleep on my back with 2 pillows to elevate my neck; had to get up very slowly so as not to strain the sutured areas; couldn't lift my head while laying down; very stiff neck and shoulders..
1st week: Still sleeps on my back; could get up slightly faster; still couldn't lift my head while laying down; stiff neck and shoulders remained..
2nd week: Could sleep on my left side too, and using just 1 pillow (how I usually sleeps); still needs to get up slowly (but not that slow); still can't lift my head while laying down without pain; still stiff neck and shoulders..

Hygiene 
1st day: Could only use wet tissue to wipe my face and body; couldn't brush my teeth as I couldn't bend or tilt my head down; couldn't touch the sutures..
1st week: Brushed my teeth by opening my mouth slightly bigger; took my first bath - wash my hair and face for the first time on the 6th day; need to gingerly take off and put on my t-shirt so as not to aggravate the sutures; used cotton pads to pad dry the sutured areas.. 
2nd week: Brushed my teeth (almost) normally; bathing (almost) normally; still needs to be careful while (un)dressing myself; still uses cotton pads for drying the scars.. 

Taken on day 16
My sis said that my sutures are nicely alighted so will most probably leave scars that are slightly visible. I am taking Vit B complex to help with the facial muscle and nerve growth... :)

Next, my thoughts and afterthoughts from the surgery..

No comments: