Aug 9, 2013

influence

Today is the birthday of two of my ‘mentors’ – SG and Prof Kano. It is quite a coincidence that they both share the same birthday. 

No further explanation is needed on how my years in Singapore influenced and shaped many of my views and beliefs. The government of SG, or more specifically the will of LKY, has demonstrated clearly how nothing is impossible if you work hard/smart enough. Regardless of what critics might say, I believed that LKY’s tenacity, single-mindedness, and resolute helped build SG. He didn’t do it alone. He has a team of colleagues who put in their share of hard work. Many are not appreciative of what he has done. I might not agree with all his philosophies, but I think he did the right thing for SG. 

As for Prof Kano, well, just read my previous entry here. To me, Kano Sensei is what a scholar should be or inspired to be. Unlike my own adviser in Waseda, Kano Sensei really does care genuinely about his students and his research. He is not in it for the glory or popularity. Other than Kano Sensei, I’ve absolute respect for Kitamura Sensei too. These two professors are my favorite professors in GITS. 

Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to wish Happy Birthday to Kano Sensei and SG. To quote Spock, “Live long and prosper”. :)

No comments: