Aug 5, 2013

traditional

Here, I’m referring to traditional Chinese. 

I was first taught traditional Chinese in school. And I must admit that I didn’t like it at that time. It was so much difficult than English with all the strokes and different pronunciations (for the same word). Then, I was instructed on Zhuyin. I can still recite them but I've forgotten how to write them. Only much later was I exposed to simplified Chinese and Pinyin. Thus I have no difficulty reading and writing both traditional and simplified Chinese.

When I was younger, I didn’t understand why we should spend (slightly) more time writing those extra strokes while we can do it faster and easier in its simplified form. Since most will understand what was written (in its simplified form), why waste time and energy learning and writing the more ‘troublesome’ form? 

Now, at this stage of my life, I can appreciate the beauty and history of traditional Chinese. Most words just don’t feel the same when written in their simplified forms. I found this interesting statement with regards to this sentiment. 

親不見,愛無心,產不生,廠空空,面無麥,運無車,導無道,兒無首,佇無腳,飛單翼,湧無力,有雲無雨,開關無門,鄉里無郎,義成凶,魔仍然魔

I think only those who know traditional Chinese could appreciate what the above statement tried to convey. I might attend to explain what the statement means in the near future, but I would like to highlight one of them. The word love () when written in simplified Chinese looks like this (). It is missing a , which is the word for heart. Thus love in simplified Chinese no longer has a heart; instead it has a friend (). 

Simplified Chinese might be the fastest way to get acquainted with the language, but only through Traditional Chinese can you truly appreciate and value the essence and beauty of the Chinese words.

No comments: