Aug 25, 2013

taiji



To those who doesn’t know, Taiji is a fishing village in Wakayama, Japan where annual dolphin ‘hunting’ is being carried out from September till the following April. I wrote about this more than 3 years ago, after watching the Oscar winning documentary, The Cove

I have loved dolphins and whales since I was a kid. I love everything about dolphins and whales. They are gentle and smart animals, especially the dolphins. When I was young, I used to that: if only these dolphins and whales could talk, what wonderful tales would they share with us? 

After watching that documentary, I realized how cruel and mindless the entire system of catching these dolphins was. I used to love seeing them in aquariums and watching dolphin shows. Now, I refuse to neither visit aquariums or zoos with whales and/or dolphins nor watch dolphin performances. 
Though I am no hardcore environmentalist or activist, I do know that I can try and promote the awareness of these senseless killings so that more people are aware of the atrocities that are being committed in the name of culture and tradition. And I really admire those who risk their lives in the frontline defending and protecting these animals, like these guys/gals. Their methods may seemed drastic, excessive and sometimes even 'fanatical', but I do think that they are making a difference. Sometimes we need both strong extreme measures and soft approaches to instigate a change.

The Chinese's appetite for sharks fin soup is endangering these apex predators, while the Japanese's obsession over their culture/tradition of whale and dolphin hunting is threatening the survival of these gentle mammals. Two major groups of people who pride themselves on their ancient and enlightened civilizations are causing the extinction of these animals so that they can have some meat/fins in their bowl. Can't they see how ironic that is? 

I recently read this article "Why don't dolphins fight back?" and it blew my mind.. I really think that human beings are the only species in the world who are capable of such cold-blooded killings. But there is hope. Last Dec, dozens of Japanese has joined in the protest against the dolphin hunts. Though their numbers may be small, it is significant nonetheless. Things have to change not just in Japan, but in Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Norway too. I'm just hoping that these small changes will turn the tides soon as time is running out (fast) for these amazing cetaceans. 




No comments: